Indoor gardening is easy and exciting just like planting outside – the only difference is you are in a controlled and limited space. You will enjoy plants more because you get to see them almost all the time. Indoor gardening doesn’t have to be costly, it depends on how you manage and design them so you won’t end up spending too much.
In growing plants inside your home, there are lots of things to consider for them to grow well. Since you are going to come up with an artificial environment for them, you need to make sure that you give them extra attention.
Best Choices for Houseplants
In making an indoor garden, choosing the right houseplants to grow is crucial.
- Dracaena – this plant resembles a corn stalk without ears. It has green-yellow-striped leaves that grow upright. You will love its decorative feature that is perfect for home corners.
- Snake Plant – this can thrive well indoors because it can tolerate neglect very much. So if it happens that you feel unlucky growing houseplants, try this one.
- Spider Plant – this is a classic plant. Its popularity started decades ago but until now, it never goes out of trend.
- Boston Fern – though this plant usually thrives outdoors, it can perfectly add beauty to your home as hanging plants. If you keep it moist, you can grow it for a long time.
- Croton – this shrub looks fantastic with its glossy colorful marked foliage. This is ideal to add vibrancy to your place.
What to Consider
Just like any other plants that grow in your garden, though they are well trained to grow indoors, they still have needs that you should give.
- Humidity – there are species that need a little moist every day. So learn which plants need this and mist them with hand-held spray.
- Pruning – some indoor plants need to be pruned as often as you can because they grow easily. For them to produce nice little flowers, eliminate dry and damaged leaves.
- Cleaning – like crotons that easily collect dust and need maintenance to remain its shiny leaves, always check their foliage as they are inside to add appeal on your home.
- Sunlight – it is normal for plants to look for sunlight so as much as possible, keep them in areas near windows or put them outside for a few hours.
- Watering – though these indoor plants are usually neglect and water tolerant, they still need it to grow healthy. Just give them enough water to drink that will last for a few days.
- Nutrients – yes, plants need fertilizers to be healthy but it doesn’t solve everything. These houseplants just need enough of it, don’t put too much or else you’ll end up killing it. Proper water, light and soil are still essential for its overall growth.
- Keep them away from Pests – though there are no weeds to worry, there are potential pests that will attack your plants. Also, if you have pets in the house, make sure to keep them away because it’s either that your plants will die or your pet will (as some plants are poisonous). So, keep your eyes on them.
Advantages of Growing Houseplants
- Air Purifier – it removes toxins in the air and releases oxygen.
- Improving Health – according to studies patients recover fast with plants near them. It also decreases chances of catching a cold, headache and suffering from fatigue.
- Cooler Environment – plants are releasing moisture in the air which increases humidity.
- Adds Beauty – these houseplants are the best ornaments inside your home. It gives colors to a bare wall and life to a dull corner.
Growing these houseplants is not hard as long as you know what you’re doing. They offer lots of benefits and need little maintenance. If you are not yet successful in growing them, then maybe after reading this article you will learn something new and apply it to your new venture. This can also be an experiment for you before creating your dream garden outside.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.